Omri Ayalon, M.D. is a licensed Orthopaedic Surgeon with subspecialty training in Hand and Upper Extremity Surgery. Dr. Ayalon grew up in Potsdam, NY, and later received his undergraduate degree at Brandeis University in Waltham, Massachusetts. He graduated from Brandeis cum laude, and was a four-year Division 3 Academic All-American member of the Men’s Varsity Basketball Team. He then completed his medical degree at Dartmouth Medical School in Hanover, New Hampshire, where he was recognized as an Urban Health Scholar and was selected to join the Mosenthal Surgical Society.
Dr. Ayalon went on to complete his Orthopaedic Surgery residency at the NYU-Hospital for Joint Diseases in New York, NY. While at NYU, he received the Nate Bondi award, a peer-selected honor given annually to a resident who exhibits leadership, teamwork, and academic integrity.
Following residency, Dr. Ayalon completed his training at the Hand and Upper Extremity Fellowship at the NYU-Hospital for Joint Diseases.
Dr. Ayalon is currently a Clinical Assistant Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery at the NYU-Hospital for Joint Diseases, where he is involved in training residents, fellows, and medical students.
In his clinical practice, Dr. Ayalon is an expert in the management of upper extremity conditions, especially those affecting the fingers, hands, wrists, elbows, and shoulders. However, he is able to treat a wide range of orthopaedic problems, including hip, knee, foot, and ankle injuries in adults, adolescents, and children.
Dr. Ayalon has authored numerous publications in the medical literature; topics include wrist fractures, ligament and tendon injuries, hip and knee replacements, and the biomechanics of fracture fixation. He has presented on these topics at several national orthopaedic conferences.
Dr. Ayalon specializes in hand and upper extremity surgery, which includes the surgical and non-surgical treatment of the following conditions:
- Fingers/Hand – fractures and dislocations, thumb pain/arthritis , Carpal Tunnel syndrome, tendon and nerve injury, Trigger Finger, sports injury, nerve compression, Dupuytrens, arthritis, circulation problems, finger injuries/deformities, stiffness, ligament injury, nail problems, Rheumatoid Arthritis, infections, joint replacement, congenital and acquired pediatric hand conditions.
- Wrist – fracture, sports injury, cartilage injury, arthritis, cysts, ligament and tendon injuries, Impaction Syndrome, Kienbock’s Disease, wrist arthroscopy.
- Elbow – fracture, dislocation, tennis elbow, sports injury, tendon injury, nerve compression, cartilage injury, ligament tears, arthritis, stiffness.
- Shoulder – rotator cuff tear, impingement/bursitis, labral tear, biceps tendonitis/rupture, sports injury, fracture, nerve/brachial plexus injury, arthritis, shoulder arthroscopy.
- Lower Extremity – fractures/dislocations, sports injuries, arthritis, infections involving foot, ankle, leg, knee, thigh, and hip.
Hand and Upper Extremity Surgery
- Hand and Upper Extremity Surgery Fellowship
NYU Hospital for Joint Diseases
- Orthopaedic Surgery Residency
NYU Hospital for Joint Diseases
- Doctorate of Medicine
Dartmouth Medical School
- Bachelor of Science in Biology and Anthropology
- American Society for Surgery of the Hand (ASSH)
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (AAOS)
Honors & Awards
- Nate Bondi Award, NYU Hospital for Joint Diseases – Residency
- Mosenthal Surgical Society, Dartmouth Medical School
- Urban Health Scholar Grant Recipient, Dartmouth Medical School
- Senior Scholar Athlete Award, Brandeis University
- Cum Laude, Brandeis University
- Academic All-American, Division III Brandeis University
- Dean’s List, Brandeis University
- Cornell CN, Ayalon O. Evidence for Success with Locking Plates for Fragility Fractures. HSS J. 2011 Jul;7(2):164-9. doi: 10.1007/s11420-010-9194-8. Epub 2011 Feb 1.
- Ayalon O, Liu S, Flics S, Cahill J, Juliano K, Cornell CN. A multimodal clinical pathway can reduce length of stay after total knee arthroplasty. HSS J. 2011 Feb;7(1):9-15. doi: 10.1007/s11420-010-9164-1. Epub 2010 May 22.
- Hasan, S. Ayalon, O.B. Yoon, R.S. Sood, A. Kavanaugh, M. Liporace, F.A. A Biomechanical Comparison Between Locked 3.5mm and 4.5mm Plates for Complex Bicondylar Tibial Plateau Fractures: Is Bigger Necessarily Better? J Orth Trauma. 2014 Jun;15(2):123-9. doi: 10.1007/s10195-013-0275-6. Epub 2013 Nov 26.
- Ayalon O, Schwarzkopf R, Marwin S, Zuckerman J. Iliac Wing Insufficiency Fractures as Unusual Postoperative Complication Following Total Hip Arthroplasty. Bulletin of the Hospital for Joint Diseases. 2013; 71(4):301-4
- Ayalon O. Patel N, Yoon R, Donegan D, Koerner J, Liporace F. Comparing Femoral Version After Intramedullary Nailing Performed by Trauma-Trained and Non-Trauma Trained Surgeons: Is There a Difference? Injury. 2014. Jul;45(7):1091-4. doi: 10.1016/j.injury.2014.01.024. Epub 2014 Jan 30.
- Nance E, Ayalon O, Yang S. Combined Palmer Type 1A and 1B Traumatic Lesions of the Triangular Fibrocartilage Complex: A New Category. (Accepted HJD Bulletin 2015)
- Shaftel N, Green S, Sapienza A, Ayalon O, Liu M. Impact of Thumb Metacarpophalangaeal Joint Position and Morphology on Radial Collateral Ligament Integrity. Journal of Hand Surgery. 2015 Sep;40(9):1838-43.
- Ayalon O, Paksima N. Dorsal Plating of Distal Radius Fractures: Historical Context and Appropriate Use. Bulletin of the Hospital for Joint Diseases (accepted)
- Ayalon O, Marcano A, Paksima N, Egol K. Ulnar Styloid Fracture in Association with Distal Radius Fracture Portends Poorer Outcome. American Journal of Orthopedics. 2016; 45 (1): 34-37
- Shaftel N, Green S, Sapienza A, Ayalon O, Liu M. Injury to the Radial Collateral Ligament of the Thumb Metacarpophalangeal Joint and the Impact of Joint Position and Native Arc of Motion. Podium presentation at the 2013 NYSSH Residents and Fellows Conference
- Ayalon O, Marcano A, Paksima N, Egol K. Ulnar Styloid Fracture in Association with Distal Radius Fracture Portends Poorer Outcome. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons Annual Meeting. Podium Presentation 2014.
- Ayalon O, Marcano A, Paksima N, Egol K. Ulnar Styloid Fracture in Association with Distal Radius Fracture Portends Poorer Outcome. Orthopaedic Trauma Association Annual Meeting. Poster Presentation 2014.
- Ayalon O, Petchprapa C, Adler R, Ryan D, Capo J, Paksima N, Sapienza A. Dynamic Imaging in Hand and Upper Extremity Surgery: Ultrasound and Three Dimensional MRI. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons Annual Meeting. Scientific Presentation 2015.
- Ryan D, Ayalon O, Chu A. Calls To The Newborn Nursery: What Every Orthopaedist Should Know, and Not Miss. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons Annual Meeting. Scientific Presentation 2015.
- Criner K, Ayalon O, Starecki M, Posner M. Cerclage Fixation for Intra-articular Fractures/subluxations of the Base of the Middle Phalanx. NYSSH annual meeting. 2016
- Ayalon O, Starecki M, Paksima N. An Anatomic Study of the Variable Insertions of the Extensor Pollicis Brevis and its Contribution to Interphalangeal Joint Extension. Sir Robert Jones Lecture. 2016
- Starecki M, Ayalon O, Sapienza A. Estimating Available Autograft Length for use in Two Stage Flexor Tendon Reconstruction. Sir Robert Jones Lecture. 2016